Today both Sony and Toshiba have decided to update some of their devices to Android 4.3. Even though the latest version is 4.4.2, It’s nice to see OEM’s updating their devices.
Toshiba decided to update their Excite Pro and Excite Write tablets to the last version of Jelly Bean. While we know what 4.3 brings to tablets (including restricted profile accounts), Toshiba is also including updates to a couple of their pre-installed apps. TruNote and TruCapture both get updates alongside the system. The OTA update will begin rolling out soon.
Sony also announced that they would be updating some of their phones to Android 4.3. Soon the Xperia Z, ZL, ZR, and Tablet Z will be updated to Android 4.3. The full changelog is below.
- Google’s Android 4.3; Jelly Bean as standard – bringing Project Butter performance & UI optimisation and a smoother graphical experience
- Launched with Xperia Z1, we’re now bringing Sony’s Smart Social Camera to these devices – our signature camera experience, that lets you download, access and enjoy “Xperia camera apps” directly from within the viewfinder
- We’re also uplifting Sony’s entire native app portfolio to the latest versions – bringing tweaked / improved / current experiences for (to name but a few): Messaging, MyXperia, Smart Connect, Small apps, TrackID, Sony Select and…
- Sony’s Media apps: WALKMAN, Album and Movies, with Sony Entertainment Network cloud service integration* – a more converged and full Sony entertainment experience – Sony Entertainment Network & PlayMemories integration with a more intuitive UI, offering seamless access to both local and cloud content
- The launch of our unique custom interface experience: “Xperia Themes”, with downloadable UI packs from Sony Select – more on this soon…
- The latest Android security enhancements, matched with Sony’s mobile enterprise solution: Xperia in Business
- Battery STAMINA Mode – updated version of Sony’s power management app, now with refreshed interface and more smart options for prolonging battery life
- Increased user control for Xperia Tablet Z, with “Restricted Profiles”; option to create isolated, secure spaces with individual local storage, home screens, widgets and settings
Unlocked international variants of these devices should see the OTA soon. Carrier locked versions will have to wait a bit longer as carriers need to give their stamp of approval.