NVIDIA was one of the first to bring Android Lollipop to their SHIELD Tablet and now they are continuing that trend of speedy updates with an update to Android 5.0.1. Even though this is a minor update, it does solve some performance issues and NVIDIA has thrown in a few of their update tweaks.
Changes include tweaks to the built in camera app, support for OpenGL 4.5 Graphics, improved localization, along with memory and performance improvements. The changelog specifically mentions increased performance when switching applications. NVIDIA also mentions that the update brings back the advanced power menu that it had in KitKat. Personally I already has this on my SHIELD on 5.0 but it’s still good to see the company caring about the customers experience and wants.
- Operating System update to Android 5.0.1: SHIELD Tablet gets updated to the latest version of Android ‘Lollipop’. This is a minor release which includes a few bug fixes and updates
- System performance enhancements: Improvements in general UI and app responsiveness, including switching between apps
- Camera enhancements: Live HD Effects (HDFX): The Camera Awesome app gets some cool new creative effects for stills and videos. All the effects leverage the power of the Tegra K1 GPU to deliver live-preview and full resolution recording with the effects
- SHIELD Power Control Menu: We’ve bought back the SHIELD Power Control Menu, based on community feedback
- Memory optimizations: Enhanced support and optimizations for memory intensive apps
- OpenGL 4.5 support
The update is available now for the Wi-Fi only SHIELD Tablet and the LTE SHIELD Tablet. NVIDIA doesn’t roll out their updates so if you head into settings and check for the update, it’ll likely be there waiting for you.