When Skylanders launched back in 2011, it opened the floodgates for the genre now known as “toys-to-life”. With Disney Infinity and the Amiibo series stepping up, the market has become viable competitively. Unsurprisingly, another competitor has entered the ring, and it’s shocking that it hasn’t happened sooner.
Announced today was the next game in the LEGO video game franchise, LEGO Dimensions. This time, LEGO Dimensions will blend several of the established LEGO universes together, like LEGO Lord of the RIngs, LEGO Batman, and LEGO Ninjago. It will also make use of as-of-yet unused universes for LEGO games, like LEGO Back to the Future and LEGO Wizard of Oz.
Like Skylanders and DIsney Infinity, Dimensions will allow players to mix a variety of characters with a variety of settings. The figures aren’t just limited to characters either. LEGO plans to release buildable packs in the future that include new characters, vehicles, tools, and gadgets.
Currently, the packs planned for release in 2015 include:
- LEGO Back to the Future – Level Pack with Marty McFly figure
- LEGO Ninjago – Team Pack with Kai and Cole, Fun Packs with Jay, Nya, and Zane figures
- LEGO DC Comics – Fun Packs with Wonder Woman and Cyborg figures
- LEGO Lord of the RIngs – Fun Packs with Gollum, Gimli, and Legolas figures
- The LEGO Movie – Fun Packs with Emmet, Bad Cop, Benny, and Unikitty figures
- LEGO Wizard of Oz – Fun Pack with Wicked Witch of the West figure
Additional packs for 2015 will be announced closer to launch, but considering how much of a pool Warner Bros. has to work with, we’ll likely see some interesting pulls. More packs will also be released following the game’s launch and into 2016.
LEGO Dimensions will be coming to Xbox 360, Xbox One, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, and Wii U on September 27th. The Starter Pack will include the figure reading pad with Gandalf, Batman with his Batmobile, and Wyldstyle for $99.99 according to Toys-R-Us.