Included in the virtual flood of Lenovo announcements Wednesday was the Vibe P1, an Android phone which comes with a whopping 5000 mAh battery to accompany a 5.5-inch 1080p display and a Snapdragon 615 processor. Rated at up to 81 hours of battery life, the Vibe P1 also includes “Rocket Charge” so after you’ve stayed up for over 3 days straight while constantly using the phone you can quickly get back to full capacity on that fourth day.
The Vibe P1 features a premium metal/glass chassis, with a curved aluminum back – while this should make holding the phone more comfortable, it remains to be seen how wobbly it could be when placed on a flat surface while charging. Also included is a fingerprint scanner, which is quickly becoming the norm even for mid-range phones. The full list of features follows, as advertised by Lenovo:
- 5000mA battery1, one of the highest capacities for smartphones, to meet today’s always-on lifestyle at 81 hours2 long battery life
- Rocket Charge function with smart overheat protection can get 2.8 hours’ talk time with a simple 5-minute charger3
- “OneKey® Power Saver” provides users up to twice the regular battery life4, simply at the flick of a switch
- Rapid OTG charging to charge USB accessories, such as Bluetooth headsets, on the go
- Fingerprint scanner embedded on the Home button can be used to effortlessly unlock the phone
- Near-Field Communication (NFC) supports one-touch pairing with other devices and electronic payment
- Alluring metal-and-glass design, featuring a curved aluminum rear cover for enhanced ergonomics
- The screen is reinforced with Gorilla® Glass 3 Corning’s scratch and crack-resistant glass material
- Wi-Fi Boost maintains Internet connection even under poor Wi-Fi receptions, and adjusts range to save power
- 64-bit Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 615 Octa- Core processor for powerful performance with Android™ 5.1 (Lollipop), Google’s latest OS
- LTE (4G), Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity for fast and easy uploads and Internet access
1 Standard size 5000mAh; Minimal size 4900mAh (for markets with special regulations like Taiwan)
2 Battery life based on simulation results and is an estimated maximum average. Actual battery life may vary based on many factors.
3 5 minutes of charging boosts battery volume from 12% to 19%, giving you 166 minutes of talk time when the power saver is turned on and in dark screen mode.
4 Actual battery life may vary based on many factors, but this mode has the potential to double battery life while restricting access to certain apps and features.
Full specs follow:
- Processor: 64-bit Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 615 1.5GHz Octa-Core
- Operating System: Android™ 5.1 (Lollipop)
- Display/Resolution: 5.5-inch FHD (1920X1080) IPS
- Color Platinum, Graphite Grey
- Memory: 2GB RAM
- Storage: Up to 32GB internal storage, up to 128GB microSD
- Sound: 1x speaker, 3.5mm audio jack, Smart PA
- Connectivity: 4G (LTE), 802.11 b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.1 LE, GPS
- Camera: 13MP phase-detection auto-focus rear camera with dual-color flash, 5MP secondary front camera
- Battery: 5000mAh (embedded)
- Materials: Aluminum frame, front Gorilla Glass 3
- Dimensions: 152.9 x 75.6 x 4.6-9.9mm (6.02 x 2.98 x 0.18-0.39 in.)
- SIM Support: Dual Nano SIM
The P1 will be available in platinum and graphite grey colors. Unfortunately, this $279 mid-range powerhouse won’t be available in North America.